Senior Technician Molecular Genetics - Scion
- Developing opportunity for a Molecular Genetics Senior Technician
- Permanent full-time
- Work on the edge of Rotorua's world famous Whakarewarewa Forest
Scion specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts, and energy; and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
In this varied position, you'll provide laboratory assistance and some field-based technical support for various research projects. Specific tasks will include:
- General molecular biology work including the extraction and quantification of DNA from plant material, PCR analysis, and agarose gel electrophoresis.
- The analysis of existing breeding programmes, as well as contributing to the implementation of new breeding programmes.
- Field work to collect samples when required.
What are we looking for?
- A relevant tertiary qualification is critical, as is the knowledge of the principles of breeding.
- Experience with real-time RT-PCR, high resolution melt (HRM) curve analysis, and DNA sequencing is preferred.
- High on our wish list is a proven understanding and experience in the application of molecular biology methods and techniques.
At a personal level, you'll need to have a great eye for detail, possess sound research skills, demonstrate excellent record keeping and be conscientious. You'll also be practical with a natural affiliation for hands-on work. This role will involve work in the field from time to time, as well as the lab, so you must be able to travel. Above all, we need high levels of self-motivation, health and safety conscious, enthusiasm, communication, flexibility, dedication to quality, together with the ability to work both independently and part of a team.
We are home to creative science minds and have a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery.
Scion is proud to offer:
- Opportunities for a fulfilling career that enables outcomes for New Zealand, Aotearoa;
- Continuous professional development;
- Enviable work environment; and
- A demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.
Closing date: Wednesday 8 March 2017
For further information and to apply online, please refer to our website: www.scionresearch.com.
|Crown research institute||Scion|
|Posted on||Feb 15, 2017|
|Closes on||Mar 8, 2017|
|Expertise||Laboratory & Technical Services|
|More details (document)||Senior Tech PD 2017.docx|