Graduate Assistant, IFS, Massey University
Graduate Assistant (Four Positions) (A407-14JK)
Institute of Fundamental Sciences, College of Sciences
Four Graduate Assistant positions are available in the Institute of Fundamental Sciences. The positions provide paid employment to PhD candidates for 360 hours per annum for a three year fixed term.
Fixed Term of 3 Years
11 p.m. on 31 October 2015
The Institute of Fundamental Sciences invites outstanding students to apply for competitive Graduate Assistant positions to support them whilst studying for a PhD at Massey University.
Positions are available in the subjects Mathematics, Statistics, Chemistry and Cell Biology (one position in each subject area).
These are salaried teaching positions in which the appointee will be undertaking full-time PhD studies. Each appointee will be required to contribute up to 360 hours of undergraduate teaching effort in the subject area each year. The positions are for a three-year fixed term to cover the expected duration of PhD research. The successful candidates will have a B.Sc. Honours, M.Sc. (or equivalent ) in the degree area, be eligible to undertake and maintain Ph.D. studies at Massey University, have excellent written and oral communication skills, prior teaching experience, research interests that match those of current Institute staff, together with an enthusiasm to undertake research in that area.
Applicants are required to identify a potential Ph.D. supervisor (in one of the subject areas Mathematics, Statistics, Chemistry or Cell Biology) and provide evidence of communication with that academic staff member.
The positions will remain open until filled and will be reviewed quarterly in 2015. Candidates should expect to receive a response within six weeks of applying.
Applications are required to include:
1. A covering letter detailing past and future research interests, name(s) of a potential Ph.D. supervisor, and prior teaching experience.
2. Academic transcripts.
3. Names and contact details for three references.
Enquiries should be directed to Professor Simon Hall (Head of Institute, Tel: +64-6-951 7653 Email: email@example.com). Information about the College of Sciences and the Institutes of Fundamental Sciences can be found at http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/colleges/college-of-sciences/abo...
To provide teaching and administrative assistance and undertake research in conjunction with study for a postgraduate qualification.
You shall be accountable to the Head of Institute for all matters relating to teaching-related duties and research activities overall.
- Satisfactorily perform duties in support of Institute teaching (e.g. tutoring, marking, supervising tests and practical work, performing minor administrative tasks, and preparation for these) as required by the Head of Institute, under the supervision of one or more members of the academic staff.
- Undertake such research-related duties as are required by the Head of Institute and under the day-to-day supervision of the relevant academic staff.
- Enrol in and satisfactorily undertake study toward a PhD qualification.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations of the University and the relevant Institute.
- Cooperate and share objectives in teaching and research.
- Comply with the University’s obligations under the University’s Charter regarding equal employment and the Treaty of Waitangi.
Sufficient qualifications to meet Massey University's entry requirements into the PhD Programme in the relevant subject area.
Prior experience in tutoring, marking assessments and supervising taught laboratory courses is desirable.
Personal attributes and behaviours
A good command of the English language, both written and verbal.
Additional Pre-employment Checks